Thursday 12 September 2013

Indestructible Hulk #12 Review

Writer: Mark Waid
Artist: Matteo Scalera

This has been an amazing series so far, and has shown just how good Hulk can be in the right hands. It's also had some exciting stories, and with the direction the series is heading in it could become even more exciting.

Plot


Hulk, and Banner (who's consciousness is in a robot) have been sent back in time to 1873, to try and fix the changes that have been happening to their timeline, encountering dinosaurs when they shouldn't be, and a time travelling menace named Tok.

Review


This was a great issue, and although it wasn't quite as good as last issue, it was still amazing, and has gotten me even more excited about this Agent of T.I.M.E. story. Mark Waid has once again done an outstanding job of the writing with this issue, and although I'll never be happy with Age of Ultron, he has given it a purpose, as without that we wouldn't be getting this story. I also really enjoyed how fun this issue was, and that due to this being a time travel series that it has the potential to give something new, and exciting with each issue. Waid also did an excellent job of the dialogue, and narration in this issue, as I felt it was very natural, and dramatic.

Now I've never been overly fond of Matteo Scalera's art on this series, and although it has been growing on me, I wasn't too happy with his work on this issue. Now I didn't hate it, as there was a lot I liked, it's just that I felt that it was a little too rough, and jarring at times, with the backgrounds mostly being too plain. I did however love his dinosaurs, which were simply amazing, and I loved his art showing Hulk square off against them. The rest of the action was also brilliantly handled, being very exciting, and explosive. I also really liked Scalera's layout's, which were very dynamic, and unique, helping to make the characters, and events stand out more, as well as adding more drama.

One of the early things to grab my attention with this issue was it having dinosaurs involved, but more so due to it being the a wild west setting, in the year 1873. No unfortunately unlike the cover, Hulk doesn't get to ride on a T-Rex, but to be honest I wasn't quite expecting that, as covers are only to five an idea of what may feature in a issue, whilst being dynamic, and eye catching. Hulk did however get to fight a T-Rex in this issue, which was simply amazing, and one of the best things that I've ever seen in a comic, making me very happy.

The other time orientated thing that I enjoyed about this issues was that involved cowboys, as although I was never a huge western fan growing up, being brainwashed by John Wayne movies, I did become one after watching the Spaghetti Westerns starring Clint Eastwood, and besides that have always liked the cowboy/western time setting. So this issues having cowboys in it made me very happy, and I loved how Waid made out that every cowboy in the west had to fit the word Kid into their name, which was very amusing.

The villain in this issue would be a time traveller named Tok, who is the person responsible for messing around with the broken time structure, also being the person responsible for bringing dinosaurs to the wild west. Now I doubt that Tok will ever become a character that I'll remember, but he was still a great character, and brilliant for this type of story. I also enjoyed how he was very sinister, and maniacal, appearing to have a plan, and the fact that he's big also helps, as it gives more of a challenge, which is especially useful due to this being a Hulk story.

Final Verdict


This was an outstanding issue, and a great continuation to this story. It had plenty of excitement, and drama, having brilliant action, and tremendous narration, and dialogue. It also involved dinosaurs, and cowboys in a awesome way, making things very fun, and entertaining. Due to this I'd highly recommend this issue, and am really looking forward to the next issue.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment