Sunday 29 September 2013

Justice League of America #7.4 Black Adam Review

Writers: Geoff Johns & Sterling Gates
Artist: Edgar Salazar

This was one of the Villains Month issues that I was most looking forward to as having loved the Shazam back-up stories in the Justice League series, as well as liking Black Adam as a villain I was interested to see what this issue would be about.

Plot


Kahndaq was once freed by Black Adam. Now a group named the Sons of Adam try to find a way of brining him back to free them once more.

Review


This was a very good issue, but not quite as good as I hoped it would be. Both Geoff Johns and Sterling Gates do a great job of reminding us how Black Adam freed the Kahndaq people, as well how he battled Shazam (Billy Batson), though I was slightly disappointed that this didn't focus as much on Black Adam as I hoped it would. In saying that Johns and Gates do this for a good reason, and although it downgrades the overall quality of this issue, it made some interesting developments for the future. Johns and Gates also did a great job of adding suspense and drama to the issue, and although the tone wasn't brilliant, the story as a whole was very interesting.

Edgar Salazar did a very good job of the artwork in this issue, as although it wasn't spectacular, being nowhere near as good as Gary Frank's work on the Shazam back-ups, it was still better than a lot of artists. The best part of Salazar's artwork had to be his brilliant layouts, as although they weren't extravagant they did an amazing job of adding depth and drama to the story. The detail in Salazar's art was also brilliant, and the only this that I wasn't a fan of was how he draws the characters mouths, as they looked a bit odd at times, but overall didn't affect it too much. I also really enjoyed Gabe Eltaeb's colours in this issue as I felt they added a lot of vibrancy, also adding a lot of tone to the issue.

This issue would start by showing Black Adam free his people. Now I found it nice that they showed this again, as for anyone who missed the Shazam back-ups it's a nice summary. I did however feel that this showed him as more of a hero than a villain, as although Black Adam has always appeared to believe that he's doing things for the greater good, it's usually in a foul way. It was however also the perfect set-up for the rest of the issue.

The rest of the issue would focus on a group called the Sons of Adam who are trying to resurrect Black Adam to free them once more. Now as I said earlier this wasn't the way that I expected this issue to go, but as I continued reading I found it to be rather interesting. Without going into spoilers I do however question whether it's even right to consider bringing Black Adam back as it wasn't that long ago that he died. I do however find the concept of trying interesting, and enjoyed reading it.

The main character focused on from this group would be a man named Amon, and his sister Adrianna who tries to warn him away from this dangerous situation. Now these aren't characters that I necessarily expect to see again, but I did find them to be slightly interesting, and the interaction between the two was very dramatic. I also enjoyed seeing the passion that both characters had for their individual causes, and how much Amon wanted the people of Kahndaq to be free again.

Final Verdict


This was a brilliant issue and although Black Adam didn't have as big a role as I hoped he would, the story as a whole still managed to be very interesting. It also had plenty of depth and drama, as well as some suspense, having some brilliant developments for the future. Due to this I'd highly recommend this issue, though I'd warn anyone hoping for an amazing Black Adam story to be wary.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment